SEIU Healthcare Minnesota & Iowa is hiring Canvassers to help home care workers build their labor union. Canvassers will visit workers at their homes and talk to them about what they can do to improve their jobs and the care they provide to people in our communities. Anyone with an interest in social and economic justice and a positive attitude is encouraged to apply. Canvassing experience is a plus. This is an entry-level position and will last approximately 6 months or through October.
- Visit home care workers at their homes in every type of neighborhood in Minnesota
- Establish rapport with workers from diverse ethnic, social and economic groups, and experiences of disability
- Work effectively both as part of a team and on your own
- Take and give constructive feedback
- Follow guidelines to keep staff and the public safe from COVID and other risks
- Be passionate about the fight to organize and improve the lives of home care workers and support them in winning union contract victories that bring them the recognition and respect they deserve
- An ability to listen, communicate, and connect with other people
- Experience working on your own, managing your time and being accountable for your results
- Positive attitude and strong motivation
- A deep commitment to social and economic justice
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a vehicle in good working condition. Must have proof of auto insurance.
- Fluency in a second language – especially Somali, Hmong, or Spanish – preferred
This is a temporary, full-time position paid at a rate of $20.50/hour, with Paid Time Off accrued at a 30:1 rate. Full-time canvassers are also paid a $400 monthly stipend for health insurance costs. Part-time is available for the right candidates.
The position requires a lot of driving. All appropriately documented mileage will be reimbursed at the current federal mileage-reimbursement rate.
Work hours include evenings and weekends.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, email a resume and your availability to John Gamino at firstname.lastname@example.org.