SEIU Healthcare Minnesota: Labor Organizer in Training
SEIU Healthcare Minnesota, a union representing over 40,000 healthcare and long term care workers in
hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, and home care across Minnesota, is seeking energetic and passionate
individuals interested in starting social justice careers in labor organizing.
The SEIU Organizer‐in‐Training (OIT) Program is 12‐month training program. The position is a
learning/training position. As an Organizer‐in Training with the SEIU Healthcare Minnesota, you will be
assigned to organizing campaigns, trained on the fundamentals of union organizing, and will have the
opportunity to learn the skills needed to help workers build power in the workplace.
The OIT program trains labor organizers to assist and empower non‐union workers to join unions and is
different from other training programs that focus on developing political, electoral or community
Focused on uniting workers in healthcare, long term care, and home care, SEIU members are winning
better wages, healthcare and more secure jobs for our communities, and uniting their strength with
workers around the world. to help ensure that workers benefit from today’s global economy.
- Function with a high degree of independence, doing continuous organizing or on assigned campaign targets
- Communicate individually with workers at assigned facilities, or through house visits and phone calls
- Assess, move, and test workers who want to organize
- Engaging, motivating and mobilizing workers to take action
- Planning and carrying out actions and events to support worker organizing efforts
- Perform other tasks needed, including research, collecting data, list‐building, data entry, maintaining and updating and presenting data
- Work to navigate and explain labor rights, contract rights, and the union difference as workers organize
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned to meet the needs of the Local
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Interest in labor organizing and progressive politics
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Willingness to conduct work site and home visits
- Excellent listening, oral, and written communication skills
- Willingness to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
- Ability to collect data, analyze data and make sound, logical conclusions
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and an automobile for business use
- Experience working in long term care facilities, hospitals, or clinics a plus
The SEIU Healthcare Minnesota Organizer in Training position is a temporary position with a salary of $905.00 per week, cell phone allowance of $50 per month, and a $400/month benefit allowance.
Apply: Submit your resume, and availability to Eric Salminen at email@example.com stating clearly that you are applying for the “Labor Organizer in Training” position.